Best hammer drill allow you to break up concrete, cinder blocks, and pretty much any other hard material. They also allow you to use them as a standard drill to drive screws.
Hammer drills are an essential part of many professionals arsenal of tools. In this article, we’re going to be looking at the features that come standard with high quality hammer drills and also the manufacturers that you can trust.
There are three hammer drill reviews on this page that are worth the money and you can expect them to last you for many years.
- 1 Best Hammer Drill In 2018 – Compared
- 2 Best Hammer Drill Reviews In Details
- 3 Hammer Drills Buying Guide
Best Hammer Drill In 2018 – Compared
15.5 x 15.8 x 13.2
14.1 x 15.8 x 5.2
16.8 x 13.5 x 5.2
Best Hammer Drill Reviews In Details
Makita BHP454 18-Volt LXT 1/2-Inch Lithium-Ion Cordless Hammer Drill Kit Review
Makita is a professionals best friend in the area of construction tools. The Makita BHP454 18-Volt LXT 1/2 Inch Lithium Ion Cordless Hammer Drill Kit allows you to work far away from electrical outlets while still providing a high power output and professional performance.
The 18 volt motor delivers 560 inches per lb of max torque and has a 2 speed all metal transmission that functions at 0-400 and 0-1,700 RPM. It also makes impact blows at 0-6,000 Blows Per Minute on low speed and 0-22,500 Blow Per Minute on high speed. It’s a light weight dream come true, weighing in at only 4.9 lbs.
It has 2 built in LED lights and comes with a quick charger for all day use in the field. There’s also a 3 year warranty on this product to keep you safe from any factory defects.
Overall, people really like this product on Amazon and rate it highly at 4 out of 5 stars. It’s a solid buy and works well for people who need a professional cordless hammer drill option.
- 18 Volt Motor
- 2 Speed All Metal Transmission – 0-400 / 0-1,700 RPM
- 4.9 Lbs Total Weight
- 2 LED Lights
- Included Quick Charger
- 3 Year Warranty On Tool / 1 Year Warranty On Charger
- LXT Lithium Ion Battery lasts a long time between charges
- Deliver 0-6,000 Blows Per Minute on low speed and 0-22,500 Blow Per Minute on high
- Ergonomic shape reduces user fatigue
- Great for woodworking, electrical, plumbing, and more!
- Energy Star rated
- 3 Year warranty ensures you get your moneys worth with this tool
- Combination of light weight and high power make it an all day option
- The side handle keeps the drill stable while you perform your best work
- LED lights stay on after you release the trigger, allowing you to check out the work you have done in better detail
- Some reports of “chuck wobble”
- Cordless, so that means less dependable power than a corded
DEWALT DCD950KX 18-Volt XRP 1/2-Inch Cordless Hammer Drill Kit Review
There’s not many construction tools out there that have such a grand following as DeWalt. Most people in the construction business swear by this company and rarely do business with other construction tool manufacturers.
The DeWalt DCD950KX 18 Volt XRP 1/2 Inch Drill/Driver/Hammerdrill Kit allows you to work without an outlet. With more than one battery, you could turn working with this hammer drill into an all day affair.
The three speed transmission made from all metal gives you precise speed control (RPM: 0-500, 0-1,250, and 0-2,000), while the self tightening chuck keeps the bits in perfect tightness at all times. As far as blows per minute is concerned, you can expect 0-8.500, 0-21,250, and 0-34,000 BPM across the three transmission speeds.
It comes with an LED work light that allows you to see your work area in bright light, and if you’re looking for a good warranty, you’re in luck. This hammer drill kit comes with a generous 3 year limited warranty.
Most people who have bought this DeWalt have been extremely satisfied. As you can see by the review score, 4.5 out of 5 stars is a pretty good score.
- 18 Volt – 450 Watt Motor
- 6 1/4 Lbs Total Weight
- 360 Degree Turning Slide Handle
- XRP Extended Life Battery System
- 3 Year Warranty
- Cordless functionality finally gives you an option to work without an outlet
- Powerful and versatile, perfect for professionals
- Long lasting Ni-Cad batteries allow for all day charging/use
- Dial up the torque and be amazed by the results
- From acting as a cordless screwdriver to drilling concrete, this is one fantastic drill
- Works great to install awning
- Save lots of money on DIY projects without having to hire a professional
- Handles both big and small jobs with ease
- Charger can actually recondition the battery – Awesome feature
- With two batteries, you can expect all day functionality
- One report of a defective battery
- One person didn’t receive their purchase on time
Factory-Reconditioned Milwaukee 5380-81 9 Amp 1/2-Inch Hammer Drill Review
You don’t have to buy a brand new Milwaukee to experience the rock solid performance that made them famous. This factory reconditioned Milwaukee 5380-81 9 Amp 1/2 Inch Hammer Drill has the proven dependability of the Milwaukee name, allowing you to meet the demands of all day work.
The anti-vibration system keeps your hands free of fatigue and allows you to stay in complete comfort. The included side handle works on the left and the right side, allowing you to tackle a wider range of projects.
9 amps of power is more than enough for most work applications, and the variable speed trigger will allow you to apply just the right amount of power for the job at hand.
Rounding out the package are self stopping brushes, soft grip handle, and carrying case. It also includes a depth gauge for perfect depth precision. This factory reconditioned product from Milwaukee comes with a 1 year warranty to keep you safe.
- 9 Amp Motor
- Right/Left Side Handle
- Self Stopping Brushes
- Anti-Vibration System
- Variable Speed Trigger
- Rugged Carrying Case
- 1 Year Warranty
- Although it may have cosmetic blemishes, a factory reconditioned product like this can last for many years
- Save tons of money over buying one of these brand new
- Outperforms competing drills with the famous performance of Milwaukee
- Drills holes fast and with perfect precision, thanks to the depth gauge
- Arrives fast from Amazon
- Side handle is detachable
- A great value minded option for professionals everywhere
- Most of the factory reconditioned tools have rarely been used at all
- Great value if you’re willing to take the chance
- Some minor cosmetic damage on some of the drills – Engravings, etc.
Hammer Drills Buying Guide
1. Corded Or Cordless?
If you’re always working near an outlet, then you may opt for a corded hammer drill, which delivers smoother power. If you have to be away from outlets in the field, then a cordless 18 volt hammer drill will be your only option.
2. Multiple Speed Transmission:
A multiple speed transmission allows the hammer drill to deliver a precise amount of speed for speed specific applications. The transmission controls the amount of blows per minute and the RPM range as well.
3. Blows Per Minute:
Both 2 speed and 3 speed transmissions will come with variable blows per minute, allowing you to break up difficult materials like concrete with relative ease. That’s what sets a hammer drill apart from a regular drill. The ability to break up material with the hammer feature.
4. RPM Range:
All hammer drills come with variable RPM ranges through the transmission speeds. While the RPM range will vary from model to model, it helps to be able to drive screws in fast or slow, and have complete control over the speed at which you drill.
5. Rechargeable Battery (Cordless Versions):
Having a rechargeable battery, or in most cases, two to be precise, can extend the life of your workday, allowing you to charge one battery while using the other. This allows for all day functionality and will help you get the most work done you can in the course of a day. Most batteries these days are Lithium or Ni-Cad, and can last a long time before needing to be recharged. Consider buying an extra battery if you want to use your hammer drill all day.
6. Ergonomic Grip And Light Weight
Being able to use your hammer drill all day long means that it has to be comfortable to use. An ergonomic grip offers your hands the support they need to work all day without hand cramps. Also, the weight should be under 10 lbs, allowing you to constantly lift the hammer drill without creating strain or tension in your arms.
7. LED Work Light
These allow you to shed some light on the task at hand. Whether you’re breaking up concrete or drilling holes in other materials, it helps to have an extra bit of light to make sure you can see what you’re drilling perfectly.
8. Amazon Review Score, Manufacturer, and Warranty
All three of these buying factors are equally important. The Amazon review score should be at least 4 stars to ensure you’re buying a quality product. Secondly, some great manufacturers of hammer drills these days are DeWalt, Makita, Milwaukee, Neiko, SKIL, Porter-Cable, and Bosch. Any one of these manufacturers would be a safe bet.
Finally, the warranty should be at least 1 year from the date of sale. This will ensure that if there’s any defect from the factory, that you aren’t stuck without any recourse to get your money back.
Related Posts :