The push and pull cutting action of a best reciprocating saw has been coveted by construction professionals for many years.
When cutting with one of these saws, the material being cut rests against the foot of the saw, allowing the push and pull cutting to do its job while pulling the material against the foot.
In this article, we’re going to be listing the features that are a part of most high quality reciprocating saws and three products that did really well in the Amazon reviews. These are products that are truly worthy of your purchase and we did all the research for you already.
Best Reciprocating Saw 2018 Compared
22.6 x 11 x 5.3
24.5 x 10.8 x 4.9
27 x 11 x 5
Reciprocating Saw Reviews
Milwaukee 6538-21 15.0 Amp – Super Sawzall Reciprocating Saw
This is the one name in the construction industry that almost everyone knows. The Milwaukee Super Sawzall! It’s the world famous saw you’ve all come to know and love, but now with new features! 15 amps of corded cutting power gets you through even the toughest sawing jobs with ease.
Like most Milwaukee products, you can expect this saw to last you for many years of trouble free use. It comes with overload protection, guaranteed to keep your motor safe from burn up and failure. It also has a constant power feature that keeps the power and cutting speed consistent, even under heavy loads. Finally, a clutch system provides protection against high impact blade lockups.
With all the professional features and long lasting lifetime of the Milwaukee Super Sawzall, it’s really difficult to say no! It’s also counterbalanced, reducing harmful vibrations by leaps and bounds.
There has never been a better time to get the Milwaukee Super Sawzall, and it’s even backed by a 5 year warranty, one of the longest standing warranties in the business.
- Corded, 15 Amp Motor
- Overload Protection
- Clutch System
- 5 Year Warranty
- Made In America
- Easy to hold and easy to line up for nearly all cuts
- Able to get through 10 inch tree branches easily
- Has perfect balance when held in your hands
- Comes with a durable case that does a good job of keeping the saw safe
- Well made and strong – Worthy of the brand name Milwaukee
- Made in America with pride – One of the few quality tools on the market that are
- Holds up well under constant, consistent use
- Can cut back and forth and even make circular cuts
- Clutch system prevents engine from wearing out prematurely
- A 15 amp saw like this requires a heavy duty extension cord – This is an additional cost consideration
- Pin can drop out easily
DEWALT DC385K 18-Volt – Ni-Cad Cordless Reciprocating Saw Kit
On the go with your construction projects? Then consider the DeWalt DC385K 18-Volt Ni-Cad Cordless Reciprocating Saw Kit. It’s everything you need to work hard without an outlet near!
This reciprocating saw features a lever action blade clamp that makes changing blades a breeze. And with 4 blade positions, you’ll find the perfect position for every job!
This saw delivers a total of 18 volts of power through a rechargeable battery pack. This is plenty of power for most construction workers working in outside settings.
The blade stroke length is 1 1/8″ and it can perform up to 3,000 strokes per minute. The shoe pivots on the fly, giving you outstanding comfort levels for all day work.
The XRP battery really blows away the competition. It lasts nearly 40% longer than traditional batteries in competing models! This DeWalt reciprocating saw includes the charger and battery, making for an outstanding value from a world class company you can really trust. If you need proof this saw is really worth it, just check out the Amazon reviews! Across 125 different reviews, this saw scored 4.4 out of 5 stars. Amazing!
- 1 1/8″ Stroke Length
- 0-3,000 Strokes Per Minute
- 18 Volt Long Life XRP Battery
- Lever Action Blade Clamp
- 4 Blade Positions
- Three Position Shoe
- Electric Brake
- Comfort Grip
- 3 Year Limited Warranty
- This saw allows for multiple cutting positions – Even upside-down!
- Lasts a long time on a single battery charge
- Very powerful for a cordless reciprocating saw
- Cuts through thick tree limbs with ease
- Can handle nearly every task at the worksite
- DeWalt high quality construction
- Longer warranty than many other cordless saws
- Rivals even corded saws in terms of power delivery
- Doesn’t come with saw blades – Sold separately
- Only comes with 1 battery – All day projects will require more than one battery
Makita JR3070CT – Makita Reciprocating Saw
If you’re looking for a saw that carries one of the greatest names in the construction world, check out the Makita JR3070CT Reciprocating Saw. This saw is built to the exacting standards that made Makita so famous.
Together with the included Anti-Vibration Technology, you’ll be able to get the job done more efficiently and with more power than ever before. The 15 amp motor delivers all the power you need and includes a clutch system that protects the internal parts from harm.
The variable speed dial features a six speed system that gives you just the right amount of strokes per minute for any job.
The body of this best reciprocating saw is designed to keep dust and debris away from the engine, thereby extending the life of the saw. As far as corded reciprocating saws go for professional and home use, this is one of the best.
You can see from the Amazon reviews that people really like this saw and have rated it pretty highly. Makita has done well to show the world that they make some of the best construction products in America.
- Corded, 15 Amp Motor
- Anti-Vibration Technology (AVT)
- 0-2800 Strokes Per Minute
- 1 1/4″ Stroke Length
- 6 Speed Electronic Speed Control
- 1 Year Warranty
- Smooth and powerful engine – Delivers lots of power comfortably
- Changing blades with this reciprocating saw is easy – Simply twist the collar and eject the blade/replace with a new one
- Two finger trigger allows you to work with 6 different speeds, making the perfect speed setting an easy task
- Strong metal case for transporting the saw is very nice
- Anti-Vibration Technology creates 3X less vibration than other models in its class
- Makita stands behind their 1 year warranty and replaces defective units
- One of many great tools in the Makita lineup of construction products
- This saw did fantastic in the Amazon reviews! 4.7 out of 5 stars across 93 reviews!
- A report of the front shoe coming loose, but only one
- One report of this saw loosing blades easily
Reciprocating Saws Buying Guide
There are certain features that you should be looking for in a best reciprocating saw. Armed with the knowledge in this article, you’ll be able to make a smarter purchasing decision and get yourself a saw that will last you for many years.
Quality definitely trumps cost, especially for professional saw handlers. Here are the buying factors you should be considering before making a purchase.
1. Corded Or Cordless
Reciprocating saws come in both corded and cordless varieties. If you’re near outlets all the time, such as using the saw in a garage setting or other indoor area, then a corded model will work just fine. But if you’re in outdoor settings a lot and have no access to an outlet, then a cordless reciprocating saw will be in order.
A corded saw will deliver more power and do it more consistently than a cordless version, but with a cordless saw, you’re free to go anywhere to get the job done.
This is one of the most important aspects of a reciprocating saw. Amperage of saws range from 8 – 15 amps for corded saws and 10 – 20 volts for the cordless variety. Amperage is important because it determines how much power you’ll be able to use for cutting purposes. Generally, a 15 amp corded saw is powerful enough for both professional and home applications.
3. Overload Protection
This is a great feature that will keep your reciprocating saw from burning out the motor. Overload protection works by shutting off power to the motor when things are getting too hot. Not all reciprocating saws have this functionality, but you’ll really be thankful for it if you ever need it.
4. Low Vibration
Most high quality reciprocating saws will come with anti-vibration features. Being able to operate the saw with minimal vibration is a key factor in the quality of your cuts. Look for this functionality in any saw you’re considering.
5. Length Of Stroke And Strokes Per Minute
The length of a stroke is important because it determines how long and thick of a material you can go through. Usually, a stroke length of 1 1/8″ to 1 1/4″ is sufficient for most projects. A high performance strokes per minute rating is about 3,000 strokes per minute.
Knowing who makes your saw is important. Not all best reciprocating saw companies are making good products. Some of the top companies in the reciprocating saw business are Milwaukee, DeWalt, Makita, Dremel, Ingersoll Rand, and Bosch. These are all high quality, well respected names in the reciprocating saw industry. List these names off to any professional and they’ll tell you they’re good companies.
Because reciprocating saws are under such heavy use all the time and go through a wide range of materials nonstop, it’s best to get a good warranty with your purchase. This way, your financial safety is guaranteed. Any defective units can be replaced by Amazon quickly and easily with a simple phone call or email.
8. Amazon Review Score
Based on the Amazon review score, you can see for yourself if other people are happy with their purchase. If you go through and read all the reviews for a particular saw you’re considering, you’ll be able to know proof positive whether or not it’s a good buy.